For those of you that recall our pallet retrieval adventures, you might be interested to see what came of the second pallet. Well, we originally had the idea to cut the second pallet into three pieces and stack them up on cinder blocks. However, we found this piece of wood near where we found the pallets (they were probably from the same person):
Having this piece of wood available to me got my mind churning and I conceived a design that would produce the shelves that we were looking for without having to procure any cinder blocks. The result:
The pallet was cut into sections of four slats on the bottom, three in the middle, and two on the top (it was supposed to be 3/3/3, but I cut incorrectly. I forgot the #1 rule: measure twice, cut once). I cut matching triangular slots into the legs:
and I added a brace to the front to provide some front-to-back stability:
The whole time while I was cutting the wood, I heard someone using a circular saw somewhere within a block of me. I almost went over to ask them if I could make a few cuts, but I decided it was better for me to build this without any machinery. Better for my cardiovascular system and better for the environment.
Now to stock it with some plants.